skip to content

Newcomers and Visiting Scholars



Registering with a Doctor

After arriving in the UK and finding accommodation, it's important to register with a doctor (also called a GP). You can find your nearest doctor's surgery using the Find a NHS Doctor website, and then contact them to enquire about the registration process. You'll need to show your identity documents and proof of address when registering. If you have any trouble registering, you can contact NHS Cambridgeshire's Patient Advice and Liaison Service Service via 01223 725400 or Once you have registered as a patient, you can book appointments to see your GP about any medical conditions, which are not an emergency.


Registering with a Dentist

You can register with a dentist in the same way as you register with a doctor, by using the Find a Dentist Website. Some dentists in the UK offer NHS care and others offer private care.


Emergency Medical Services

In an emergency, you should call 999 (the call is free from all providers) or go to your nearest Emergency Hospital Department, called A&E.

The emergency service is free to everyone in the first instance, regardless of your status in the UK. However, following emergency treatment if you are admitted to hospital and are liable to charging for NHS services, you will have to pay for any subsequent treatment. This does not apply to British passport holders.

The nearest Accident & Emergency (A&E) is located at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ.  The department is open 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. For further information please visit the Cambridge University Hospital website.